Friday, November 26, 2010

Sausage and Spinach Stuffing

Sausage and Spinach Stuffing
Makes 12 – 14 Servings

I wanted a tasty alternative to the usual conbread stuffing I make at the holidays. I typicaly use a little turkey bacon in mine since my husband doesn't eat pork, and I don't eat beef. This gives me the option to make things a little different but they are always creative and tasty.

Prep: 40 minutes Bake: 25 - 35 minutes

Pre-heat oven to 325°


1 Small bunch of Fresh Spinach
12 oz Package of Sausage (I am using Turkey Store Breakfast Links)
3/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 Yellow Bell Pepper; Chopped
½ Orange Bell Peppers, Chopped
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup butter
2 tsp. Dried Sage, crushed
1/2 –1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
Jiffy Cornbread Mix (follow recipe on box – milk, eggs) Baked and cubed for stuffing
1–11/2 cups chicken broth



Finely Chop all peppers, celery and onion, if you are removing casing from sausage, do so and place all sausage with veggies.


Cook sausage in a deep skillet or Skillet/Dutch Oven until brown


Once sausage is crumbled and browned, remove from skillet and place in a bowl.
 Sautee celery and onion in skillet until soft and browned

Add yellow and orange peppers to skillet.

When all of the pepper, onion and celery have cooked down, return sausage to skillet.
(Jaidea was in the kitchen with me... notice the artwork in my food)


Add chopped spinach to skillet and add salt and pepper to taste.

Add sage to skillet and give a good stir.


 Cut up cubed cornbread (Thank you Jaidea) and place in your stoneware dish.

Add your stuffing blend to cornbread and pour in your chicken broth, enough to wet but not drench the bread.

Add in your veggies and sausage from the skillet. Use more of your broth to wet the stuffing.

Bake at 350 until firm but not dried out.


2 comments:

  1. Looks good, I love finding new stuffing recipes

    ReplyDelete
  2. So do I. The family really enjoyed this one! It's easy enough to have for a nice sunday dinner too.

    ReplyDelete